Pages

Friday, July 14, 2006

Mentions of Friends and Family

After Bryn woke me up freakishly early this morning, I decided that I needed to post some explanations and elaborations related to my last post....


When Derek Brought Us Buffy
At the end of my last post, I mentioned our guiltly pleasure of watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." For all of you who have not yet been indoctrinated, for the record, I would just like to say...... It's all Derek's fault. Now, don't get me wrong; we love Derek. We will soon be moving in with him, and he has been my friend since high school. But for many years, I've thought that his obsession with Buffy was a little strange. Fast forward to our early days of parenthood, when I was nursing Bryn for about 8 hours every day and sleeping far less than that. Derek felt, and rightly so, that we needed something to do during all of those long hours, so he loaned us season one of Buffy. Ben and I laughed a little about "those people" who are so obsessed with the show and put it on a shelf. Late one sleepless night, though, we needed something to focus on besides the sound of newborn Bryn's wails, so we popped in the DVD, and two hours later, we were hooked. Now we are "those people," and the very worst kind of them too...... the kind that takes Buffy trivia quizzes online, watches other TV shows and movies simply because one or more of the actors from Buffy is in it, and is equally obsessed with "Angel," Buffy's counterpart series, which Ben swears is even better than Buffy. We are sick.


A Monkey for Melissa
Speaking of somewhat alarming obsessions, please consult http://www.nica-blog.blogspot.com/ for my friend Melissa's perilous story of how she will be spending a year observing monkeys on a remote Nicaraguan volcanic island in the middle of shark-infested waters. This is actually why Ben is (hopefully) selling my brother Brian his car--because Melissa's car will be coming to live with us for the year that she is gone. At any rate, as a nod to Melissa's love of monkeys, and also as a tidbit that only a new mother could find newsworthly, I would like to mention that Bryn has expanded upon her love for Jarafe the Giraffe and now also adores Zephyr the Monkey.






Vacation:
24 Hours and Counting
Lastly, I mentioned my frantic packing in my last post. Ben, Bryn, and I will be departing this afternoon to travel to Michigan to spend a week relaxing with my dad, my sister Kristin, my stepmom Diane, and my stepsister Lindsay, all pictured here last year (when I was in all my pregnant glory). I absolutely cannot wait!! I did have a moment of panic when I considered being away from the new daily joy of my life, blogging, but never fear, we have learned that the inn has WiFi in the lobby. :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Amy,
Glad Bryn is loving the monkey. Maybe she is remembering her fun playtime with my mother!

Have fun on vacation! Its good they have internet so you can continue blogging. I guess if they have internet on a volcanic island in shark infested waters, they can have it anywhere.

Lve,
Melissa